Thursday 11 March 2010

How to tell a story without a single word: my interpretation of REDDER

(Something of a mini-rant before I start getting into full flow: there have been a couple of comments on the indie games blog deriding Dess' use of female protagonists. This is something of a running theme, as she often gets called out on her blog for using the female pronoun as default. APPARENTLY THIS IS SOME FRIGHTENING AGENDA. Oh noes! Having a female protagonist is (sadly) something unusual in the world of games (not like women represent around 50% of the population or anything) so what's wrong doing something out of the mainstream - a huge part what indie (or outsider) games are supposed to be about - and chipping away at this idea that "male" is the default gender at the same time? You'll probably notice if you read much stuff here that I tend to use gender neutral pronouns, so this is something I think about a bit. It just goes to show how normative even the geek gamer / indie scene can be: if you deviate from the social standard people just flip the fuck out.)



I love REDDER. Dess/Anna/Auntie has always been an advocate of 'show, don't tell' as it applies to games; never leaning on the crutch of huuuge blocks of text or in game-cutscenes to do her work for her. This latest game demonstrates just how good she's gotten at fully integrating the mechanics of story into the components of the game - in REDDER, you just can't separate the two.

BUT what I dug most and what I want to write about now is the quality, depth and relevancy of the story that Dess managed to tell me using the elements of the game world - all without using a single word.


-----------------------------------

TRAGEDY

In the beginning, I am free. I am the hero, travelling across the boundless stars! Nothing is impossible - anything is within reach (but am I happy? am I satisfied?) I start to lose power - my fuel is leaking away. Oh god, I knew this couldn't last. Deep in the pit of my stomach I know what will happen. I brace for impact as I sink towards an alien and unknown planet.




KATABASIS

There's nothing left except my ship - and my body. Not even a single fuel gem - all of them lost, and why? It's a stupid, arbitrary fate. But, hey, I'm in a new place. Somewhere I've never been - and there's surely so much yet to see and do! I take a jump - and I fly into the atmosphere for what seems like hours. I take another, and another, and another.

But, down to business. Pick a direction. I go right! I'll find enough gems to restore the ship, they must be here on the planet, they have to be. Further along, I see a gap and try to leap it, but I'm not good enough at jumping and I miss the ledge across from me and begin to fall. Down, down, down. Oh crap - how far down does this fucking hole go? I'm falling into the bowels of the planet. What if I'll never be able to find my way back up again?

I don't care. I wanted to explore, and I got my wish (be happy). In a few minutes I find my first gem. Hey! I am skilled and resouceful and still very much the hero I always was.

Later I have six or seven fuel gems and have explored most of the first layer of the planet. I pause to savour the success. So Far it's been great - there are so many pretty scenes, from the sculped floors to the hues in the sky to The dangerous but suitable adversaries - robots and laser wires - no match for me. This landscape is for my Amusement. If something goes wrong I can just Warp back.

Despite this, something's bugging me. Sometimes I'll try and make a jump to a platform and I'll just lose it completely and take a Dive headfirst into the dusty earth, or veer off in completely the opposite direction and catapult myself off a ciff. So far this has only proved a minor Annoyance (I'm a great explorer, after all) but what is wrong with me - is it my Suit? This Planet? Am I doing something wrong?

Fuck, I bet someone Else would be a better explorer than I am. They'd find out how to Jump right and wouldn't Mess up half as much. That other person, that better me - why, I bet they'd have already collcted enough Fuel and been on their way by now.

Well. To Hell with them. I'm Enjoying Myself, aren't I?

For now all I have to do travel further down. Simple. Down, Down, Down into the deep red earth. Get the gems, take in the sights on the way! Everything is always Beautiful, even if I to notice the odd aBnormality here and there. Anyway, When I go to loOk again, everything is back to normal. A temporary gLitch in my vision.



ANAGNORISIS

PrEss throUgh, iNsinuate my way into a Sealed conCrete passage set into the gRound. Definitely gOt the Hang of these switches Now. The trick is to remember which sWitch you want on and where to find it. Oh, aNd how to get Back. Ha ha. Almost Had me there. Things are getting haRder, but, hEy, I Like a challenge. Doesn't matter if I have To tAKe a couple of rUns at it. I've got inFinIte time aND nothing can harm Me.

I go faster. NO time to SEe all the sights but I can always come back. As I reach the deEPest AreAS of tHE plAnEt, I notice fuEl gems that I cAn't qUitE get, no maTTer what I try. I resolve to Get these speCIal ones last. A fiTtiNg conclusion to a HeRoic tale. At the very bottom of eVerYthing, aLl glASs PipES aNd EyeBAlls and lAser beAMs and an aliEn coLdness wHICh grips ME But neVer lEaves.

MaKinG a Circuit OF tHe PLaNet. KeeP gOiNg RoUnd, and I'll jUSt cliMB On up tHouGh ThE other uNExplored areas. SenSible and EfFicieNt, liKe mE.

BUT tHIngs aRe GEttiNg WOrSe. Is tHIs iT? My dOUbLe viSIon'S baCk, wOrse THan beFoRE, EvERYthinG HaS a STraNge AcCenT TO It. AnCieNt blocks And Metal panels burSTing inConGruously FROm tHe rEd sAnd waLl. MeZzanINe aNd TWisTed bRiCk wHere sCulPTure once WAs. Keep Going, kEep cOllecTing gEms. BuT it's NOT gOiNG AWay. REaCH onE diStant geM aNd tWInnEd wiTh a SenSe Of sAtiSfACtion, ThE GrEaTEr SWeLl of SusPIciOUs fEAr buILDinG BehiNd mY eYEs uNTil it wHIstLeS aND SCReaMs. EVEryTHing's CHAnGInG aND tHE VISions wON't STOp. SANd, stONe, MEtaL, EYeBAll, SPaCE, DuSt - pLAnTS? FOR a MOMeNt I hAlLUCiNAte tHAt I'm uNDeRwATer. IN the EYe oF THe SToRM, aN ODd thOUghT ocCuRs TO Me, pOPs oUt As HILaRIOuS aNd OBSceNe As a fARt at a FUNeRAl. YOu kNOw, IT's aLMOsT aS iF...

OH GOd. Oh gOd oH goD. CoLLeCtiNG tHe GEMs iS wHAt's DOIng THIs. WHAt's brEAKiNg the wORLd. THe MOre I CoLleCT tHE WORsE iT GEtS aND tHE WOrSe I FEel aNd THE wORSe I bECOmE. AnD IF I WaNT tO gEt BACk iNTo sPACe, if I wANt to BE FREE of tHIs pLANet, thINGs ARe oNLy gOINg to GEt eVEn wORSE.



APOTHEOSIS


hAHAhaHAhaH. iT'S ok. iT'S Ok! bREAK AroND ME, CREeP ME OUT, DOubLE BACK, REwiND REcONsiDER RECIind RefORM ReTURN. iN The FaCE OF EVERYthING AGaiNST ME i WlLl NoT Be DeniED. gEM, NEXT GEM, neXT GEM. oNLY TWO moRE To Go AND i'M OUt OF THIS FuCKING HEllHOLE. iT JUSt GetS WOrse AnD WORSE, a CacOPHONY OF SIGHts ANd COlOURs AlL VyING fOR ATtENTioN AnD PRomINENCe (IN THE FaCE Of EVerYThING AGaiNST Us We iILl NOT BE DeNIED. gEM, NexT, GEM, NeXT gEM. oNLy TWO mORE To GO).

reject my perspective

lASeR dISPLAYS aRE nOThING COMARED tO tHIS kALEIDOSCOPING mAW aGAPE aND BLeEDING SWiTCH SWITCH swITCH uNTIL i tWIST tHE wORLD tHE wAy i wANT tO sEE iT dAMMIT wHY iSN'T iT hOW i wANT tO sEE iT WhY wON'T i bE ABLE tO sEE IT aGAIN wELl fuCK yOu bUDDY oNE lAST gEM tO gO

veil is slowly lifting

THRoUGH A tHiCKeT oF RUNNEls ANd ERUPtION oF DISownED TECHolOGy I AM THE ONe tHEY FEAReD. THROUgh a GAUnTLeT oF tRIAls - SWItcHEs, ROBotS, lASEr tURREtS fiIRING, I rUn FOr mY LIFe. TO THE lAST GEm FAStER FASTER fAStER I tHINk I'LL sUFFOcATE iF I sPEND ANOTheR SECONd

AND MY FReEDOM IS SECURED. MY PERCEptION CHANGES. I sEE EVERytHING IN ALL ItS GIdDYING MAJESTY AND CanNOT AND WILL NOt LEAVE. THE SPECIAL ExCESS TREASURES OF THIS PLACE REMAIN. I CANNOT LEAVE THEM BEHIND. I WILL PUSH THIS CHAOS HOME UNtIL MY EYES BREAK OR SOMETHInG ELSE DOES.

ONE, HANgING IN THE DARKNESS AT THE ToP OF AN EXILE BrIDGE LIKE THE NORTH StAR

reject myself

TWO, THRoUGH A GAP IN THE DEAD CITY AND AS FAR LEFT aND DOWN AS I CAN, DEEP IN THE PALaCE OF EYEBALLS MY LIMBS OH gOD I KNOW I'M NOT RELIGIOUS BUT MY LIMBS ARE SO PAINfUL NOW I CAN'T STOP IT IT HURTS SO MUCh I FEEL MYSELF DYInG OR LEAKING oR BLEEdING OR ALL

THREE

and be reborn




REDDER

noise pain fear are gone now

everything is clear

like a childs dream picture book

at once so simple and beautiful

i see things how i want to see them

so manageable

ascend for as long as it is natural

i pause and think about how this perfect symmetry

complements and frames my perfect change

its such a relief being so pure and new

i could cry

but space is so wide and inviting

and the stars are calling me home




----------------------------------------

If my words don't do justice to this game then I hope it underlines my point.

REDDER is a story with power.

It should be required playing for anyone who loves games and what they can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment